Join us for the next VFX Pros: Home Edition this Thurs, July 9, 5pm PST – Learn How to Spot & Shift Gender, Race & LGBTQI Bias & create greater equity – w/@tessablake award-winning filmmaker & Director of Inclusion Initiatives at the @AmericanFilm RSVP: https://t.co/wNL9BxHUdc pic.twitter.com/6BWidUnx6T
— VisualEffectsSociety (@VFXSociety) July 6, 2020
ASWF D&I Working Group – Draft External Goals
External-Facing Goals – focus areas for improving diversity & inclusion outside of the AWSF and it’s member companies
- Encourage high school and college students to pursue a career or participate in open source projects by educating them about how the motion picture and media industries use it for visual effects, animation, and more.
- Develop a mentorship program targeted at High School and College students, partnering with ASWF projects.
- Spend a day with an open source professional
- Long term mentorship
- Active open source coding opportunities
- Partner with external organizations that promote coding in underrepresented populations
- Improve Open Source Involvement
- Think global, act local
- Each community globally has different underrepresented populations. Partnering with a range of organizations that span our communities will allow for interaction with many different people.
- Partner with universities and high schools to influence teaching curriculum and provide materials that schools can use to increase knowledge of open source, vfx, and animation among students
Support @HBCU20x20 by texting HBCU to 33222
We prepare and connect the HBCU community to job and internship opportunities
And if you’re a Black college student or recent graduate, sign up for mock interviews with professionals in your field:https://t.co/g9am79Wtft
— Nicole Tinson (@Nikki_T) July 9, 2020
- Pilot this with a university and high school in SF/LA, London, and Sydney?
- Potential for-credit mentorships/internships
- “What is open-source?”
- “How does OpenVDB help make movies?”
- “What is the ASWF?”
- Create open source project tutorials for all of the ASWF projects
- Through all external outreach, showcase diverse talent
- Everyone should have a seat at the table
- “You look like me”
- Provide role models
ASWF D&I Working Group – Draft Internal Goals
Internal-Facing Goals – focus areas for improving diversity and inclusion within the ASWF and its member projects.
- Ensure that the ASWF has a diverse leadership across the Foundation and projects.
- Establish D&I goals for ASWF leadership working with the TAC and Board. Including but not limited to:
- Inclusive language in charters, documentation, and code
- Diverse representation on the TAC, Board, and all member project TSCs
- Work with project TSCs to make it easier for diverse communities to get involved in open source communities by lowering the barrier to entry and providing a clear path for participation.
- Ensure that projects have easy getting started guides, how-tos, first issues for newcomers
- Identify opportunities for mentorship within the projects – technical and non-technical – along with potential mentors.
- Work with projects to identify:
- What are your current stats (so we can start to track metrics, not meant to be a reprimand or anything negative)
- What are your roadblocks to better D&I?
- How can the D&I help your project expand in the area of D&I?
- In-reach – better enable ASWF members to educate their colleagues internally about open source, especially among junior engineers and internal D&I organizations.
- Work with ASWF members to identify:
- What are the barriers to entry
- What is the current path to involvement
- Work with ASWF members to identify:
- Can we help with internal messaging/marketing to encourage participation (especially as a way to grow junior engineers?)
- Is there a path towards recognition/internship/employment opportunities based on involvement with ASWF projects relevant to their respective companies?
- Develop Thought Leadership and Educational Content (this could also be outreach-oriented as well, so some overlap)
- D&I / Unconscious Bias / Allyship Training
- Blogs from ASWF members on relevant topics?
- Info sessions / highlights / office hours for member projects for curious/curated individuals to learn more
- External Blogs